Residence reporting form requirements now extended to the Gurgaon and Jamnagar FRRO authorities - India

As part of the Foreigners’ Regional Registration Offices (FRRO) registration and visa extension process, the FRRO authorities require certain documents which include proof of residence.
Previously, the hotel authorities were required to submit a copy of the Form C with the FRRO authorities, this was required along with a hotel letter as a proof of address. Where an individual was staying in company leased accommodation, a copy of a notarised and/or registered (as the case may be) lease deed was required.  
As a part of an initiative to keep updated records of foreign nationals and to curb potential overstays, the Ministry of Home Affairs has expanded the rule for landlords to report the occupancy of foreign tenants to the cities of Gurgaon and Jamnagar via the ‘Form C’.
Further, landlords in Gurgaon must also submit a new Tenant Verification Form (TVF) and so the Gurgaon FRRO authorities now require:

  • a copy of Form C; or
  • a copy of lease deed and TVF as proof of address in case of lease accommodation.

The online portal has been introduced to register and complete the ‘Form C’ within 24 hours of a foreign national’s arrival. The form is sent online to local police stations FRRO authorities.
To submit the TVF, landlords must visit their jurisdictional police station. Please note that Delhi & Mumbai FRRO authorities have alrady been  accepting the TVF for  the  last couple of years.

What this means for you as an employer?

Foreign nationals moving to Gurgaon and Jamnagar should aim to finalise their accommodation prior to arrival to avoid registration delays.

Foreign nationals who are already in Gurgaon and Jamnagar must submit the requisite documents with their next in-country immigration application, such as their visa extension or change of residential address application.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to your usual PwC contact for further details.

Read more articles on