Legalisation now required for marriage and birth certificates in certain circumstances - Thailand

Foreigners from 21 countries who wish to apply for long-term dependent visas for qualifying dependants will now be required to obtain legalisation of any marriage and birth certificates which are not issued in English. Applicants will need to either have these documents: 

  1. Translated into English and legalised by Thai Embassy or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the country where they were translated into English; or 
  2. Translated into English and legalised by the relevant Embassy (the country that such marriage and birth certificates were issued) or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand.  

The 21 countries mentioned above include: Argentina, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, India, Iran, Liberia, Mali, Nepal, Nigeria ,Pakistan, Peru, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Sri Lanka, Togo, Uganda.

Though the above countries have been named, it should be noted that should the documents be issues from another country where the documents have not been issued in English, they will still be required to follow this translation and legalisation process too.  

Please also note that this change only affects applications submitted at the One Stop Service Centre (OSSC) and so it does not apply to applications submitted to the Board of Investments.  

What this means for you as an employer? 

Companies need to be aware of the legalisation requirements and should ensure that dependents of affected foreign employees legalise their certificates prior to submitting their visa applications.  

Please do not hesitate to reach out to your usual PwC contact for further details.


Read more articles on